FLU VACCINE STOCK
Each year, the viruses that are most likely to cause flu are identified in advance and the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends which type of flu virus strains to include in the vaccine for the upcoming flu season.
In past years we have ordered our flu vaccines in the winter of the year prior to when they will be administered i.e. vaccines ordered in the winter of 2017 would be administered during the 2018/2019 flu season.
However, at the end of last year The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) updated guidance to recommend a “quadrivalent flu vaccine” for the 18 to under-65s at risk, and an “adjuvanted trivalent vaccine” for those aged 65 and over. Because of this, all practices in England and Wales had to reduce their orders of quadrivalent flu vaccine, and re-order an appropriate amount of adjuvanted trivalent vaccine for the number of over 65s that they had on their patient list.
The issue with doing this, however, was that because there is only one supplier of the adjuvanted trivalent vaccine, stock has been restricted and delivered in three phased deliveries – 40% in September, 20% in October and the final 14% in November.
As each delivery has been administered within a few days of receipt, it has meant that there have been occasions when we have been without stock for several weeks. Our last delivery of adjuvanted trivalent vaccine is due in one the 14th November and it is hoped that we will then have been able to offer the vaccine to all our patients who request it.
The partners and staff at Albert Road and Sidley Surgery are proud to offer the highest standard of patient-centred healthcare.
We run many clinics for the management of chronic diseases such as asthma and diabetes and offer a wide variety of other medical services including antenatal and postnatal care, minor surgery, childhood vaccinations and well-person check-ups.
In addition to everything you need to know about the practice you will also find a wealth of health-related information in the menu on the right hand side. Please have a look around and do send us some feedback if you like. This can be done through our comments and suggestion page found at the bottom of the page under contact details.
Sidley Medical Practice is a long established GP surgery that is committed to preserve and enhance its good reputation for being caring and innovative by providing high quality medical services in a friendly, happy and healthy environment.
We undertake to:
- Treat you with respect and courtesy at all times
- Provide you with advice and treatment in a timely manner
- Help you make decisions about your health by treating you with respect
- Discuss available treatments and refer you on to other experts where necessary
- Act as your advocate and guide through health care services
- Maintain confidentiality in what we discuss and the records we keep on your behalf
- Keep up to date with developments in health care by continuing to learn
In return we ask you to:
- Keep your appointment and/or let us know as soon as possible if you can't attend
- Only use urgent out-of-hours services for urgent conditions which can't wait until the next day or over the weekend.
- Be nice to our staff! They do their best for you and respond very well to "please" and "thank you"
- Let us know if you have any suggestions or cause for complaint as soon as possible
- Let us know when we have done well
In addition to the general facilities both surgeries have offices and treatment rooms for attached Practice Health Staff. There is full Disabled access across both sites via ramps and lifts. There is also a hearing loop system available for patients with impaired hearing. There is a car park at Sidley Surgery, which is also accessible by bus, with a bus stop right outside Sidley Surgery and a public car park near to Albert Road. Both surgeries also provide a freephone for taxis.
(Site updated 16/11/2018)